Most of spray guns which are available on the market today are able to work with lacquer. However, not every product can provide you with the type of finish that you want. Therefore, we list you the top 5 types of sprayers that offer the best result for lacquer.
Types of Sprayers
- AAA guns: If you are planning to work for large project, this guns work best. This gun is also known as air assisted airless spray. You have more consistency through less work per piece, which increases your overall productivity.
- Pressured guns: This gun is the traditional application method. Other forms of pressure allow for consistent lacquer application. Besides, this tool also the best option for those who like to experiment with different materials and finishes.
- Gravity feed guns: Presented with a smaller reserve than the other, Gravity feed guns come to be easier to clean. If this is the first time to use spray guns, you’ll find that they are so much easier to use. In fact, many people think that gravity feed guns is the best DIY option.
- Suction feed guns: Although, this type of spray gun is not in the first list for lacquer, they can still be used by those who have perfected their spraying techniques over time.
- HVLP guns: this type is one of the good choices for the DIY specialist when it comes to lacquer. To make sure it can apply the lacquer as desired in a consistent manner, one must be careful about the setup of the spray.
After knowing the five products that can be used with lacquer, there are many things that you should know, such as how to prevent the most common problems with lacquer and how to clean up the tools after usage. You can figure out more detail information below.
How to Avoid Common Problems with Lacquer
Remember that it is important to make sure any stains have completely dried before applying the sealant, especially if you have chosen the best spray guns for lacquer. In fact, 3 or 4 light coats of lacquer tend to work better than one very thick coat. A 320 fine grit sandpaper in-between the second and third coat will help to aid upper coats adhere better for a better overall finish. If a run should occur, shave it down with a razor after drying blade and then re-spray to fix. When spraying lacquer, make sure you use a completely horizontal movement and keep the spray gun moving at all times.
How to Clean Up After Applying Lacquer
There are two lacquer options that you can choose from: nitrocellulose or water-base. You can spray throughout the day with nitrocellulose lacquer, taking breaks in-between each application and clean only when you are finished. Detach the gun from the air hose, pull the trigger so the lacquer in the gun drips back into your cup, and then follow the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning instructions.
On the other hand, you’ll need to completely flush the spray gun with water for water-base lacquers. Put the leftover lacquer to the can and make sure to wipe off the parts to prevent lacquer buildup with the gun that could affect future results.
What are the Prices for the Best Spray Guns for Lacquer?
The price that you’ll pay will depend on the type and features that you’ll need. Some basic entry-level models retail for between $25-$50. The average price that most users can find is around $100 and often a bit less. Premium products for high capacity use can run as high as $300 for a professional grade tool.
By having deeper knowledge of spray guns for lacquer, you can determine which spray guns that will suit your purpose and price best. One thing for sure, best spray gun will always give your project the perfect finish, so make sure you choose the perfect one.